Friday, January 9, 2009

Updates... Beginning of January

Okay, so my mom called me and complained that there weren't any updates lately so I decided I better get to it. As you will notice I posted about 5 different updates today all with different titles to break up the posting and make it a little easier to follow.

Well, this week Katelyn started back to school and Justin was back at work. Things went okay on Monday, but Wednesday after Justin got his prescription changed and they added oxycontin along with the Percocet Justin wasn't able to go to work. Thursday Justin was out of bed and ready for work. He kissed me good bye and was off - well so I thought. Only to be awakened a few minutes later to Midnight freaking out He was barking like crazy and bumping his head on the window. So as I looked out and saw the car still in the driveway I decided to go and check it out and let midnight know it was only daddy. When I opened the door and started heading downstairs Justin was slowly walking up the stairs to get me. As luck would have it he fell off the steps on the porch when going to start the car (guess they were a little icy). He ended up falling about 8 steps. Luckily he didn't break anything, but after figuring out he was okay he headed off to work; but this time rather than taking the icy stairs he walked on the grass. To say that someone was watching over him is an understatement. The amount of steps he fell, along with the side he landed on, as well as the fragileness of his neck he should have been seriously injured if not worse. So I am very thankful that he had his guardian angel with him- I hope that he/she stays with him! He was very sore yesterday and today but hey we'll take sore! This episode also made Justin admit that Midnight is indeed a good dog and will always protect us. Midnight knew Justin was in trouble and kept barking until I got up. I am very thankful for my good boy - Midnight!

Today Katelyn missed half of school. Instead she was asked to go meet Salomon with Erin and Jade. For those of you who don't know or who may have forgotten Salomon is the dog that Katelyn is raising money for. We were also able to meet Kyria ( the girl who at 12 yrs old decided she wanted to use her dog to help others feel better), and her dad Terry. Now almost 10 yrs later Kyria and her family are devoting the majority of their time to the project they started: The Paws for People foundation, it truly is a caring organization and the people there are amazing. I was blessed to meet Terry and his daughter Kyria today. They are good people doing great things for people they don't even know! If you want to find out more about their story and why they started it check out the link on the side of this page.

Okay now onto the dog: Salomon is this cute black lab; who for less than a year old is doing amazing job learning. He was very friendly and got along great with the girls. He was able to take commands well from Kyria, not so much for Erin yet, but I know that once these two start working together more that they will become best friends. It was priceless to see Erin's face when she was with her dog. It gave her confidence and made her feel special (in a good way). It was nice to see people looking at her and to see that they could tell that she was happy rather than wondering why she was in a chair they were amazed to see a little girl in a wheelchair with a service dog. You could tell that the dog took the looks away from the chair and put it on him and her instead! Once Erin gets the dog full time (in about 6 months) it is going to change her life so much. I was so happy that Katelyn was able to be a part of it today. She even got to walk the dog, and she was excited to have been a part of it... it helped her get excited about raising money again too. She asked on the way home today if we had enough yet, so Erin could bring her dog home.

Well, next week Justin has his neurology appointment, and Katelyn has a birthday party to attend tomorrow so maybe there will be more to post.

Hope everyone is doing well. Love ya!


Daddy & Daughter Dancing

Salomon & the Girls

The "Stop" Command

Katelyn & Erin taking a walk

Learning Commands

Katelyn Walking Salomon

Sitting with Salomon

Yummy Ice Cream

Some well deserved Ice Cream after all that working!

No comments: